Friday, July 8, 2011

12 Days of Phoenix: Freeways!

In honor of our move from Phoenix, I'd like to share some of my favorite things about this city. You're probably thinking: Laura- you are from Tucson. Is moving back really that big of a deal? Well, yes it is. Moving to Phoenix was the first big step in getting away from Tucson and moving on to bigger and better things. I know plenty of people love Tucson and now in my older and wiser state of mind I can see why. But, when I was a kid I wanted nothing more than to move on and get on to those bigger and better things.

Bigger and Better thing #1: Freeways! And lots of them!

Tucson has no freeway though town, only the I-10, which does not go through town, just around the outside of town. So that makes it virtually useless unless you are driving far, far away to either Texas or California.

Moving to Phoenix then was totally exciting for this no-freeway gal. Big freeways, with wide lanes and very well maintained asphalt! In all my travels (albeit maybe not as wordly as I wish), no other city has freeways quite like we do. They're beautiful and I will miss them. Especially you, state route 51 with all the pretty houses perched on the hillside. I used to imagine the pro athletes lived in those houses. And you- the ugly and neglected lanes of the I-17 and the 60- I will even miss you too. And you, 101 with your bad traffic but your proximity to every place I ever needed to drive to. I will miss you, but I will enjoy your carpool lane when we visit, which will hopefully open soon.

I will never forget our nephew Kyle's first trip to Phoenix. He was taking pictures of the freeways and I thought it was both cute and funny. That may be me soon.

No comments: