Sunday, July 10, 2011

12 Days of Phoenix Countdown: Ikea!

My mom has this Swedish friend she works with, who would laugh at our Ikea obsession. She said shopping at Ikea for them was the equivalent of shopping at Wal-Mart for us. Well, since being American isn't exactly synonymous with having great taste, I give you my next favorite thing about Phoenix.

Ikea is just awesome. I really love it. Brooks says he is ready to graduate to the next level of nicer furnishings, but I still find things in that massive blue store that I NEED. We were here when Ikea first opened it's Tempe location and the news covered how people camped out to be one of the first through the door who would also get a free, funky Poang chair. I shouldn't diss that chair- we eventually bought one as well. It was probably equally fun shopping and trying to figure out how to pronounce the names of items. My mom and I could easily spend about 4 hours making our way through the displays and marketplace, laughing at the names and finding way too many things we thought we needed. The kids loved hopping in the beds and trying out all the chairs and couches, then finally making our way to the kids area where they'd play and we'd have to bribe them with ice cream to be able to get out of there. Taylor loved the ice cream so much that we had a heck of a time convincing him we could get plain vanilla cones at other places and not just Ikea. One time we gave him a cone and happily pushed him about in his stroller, and when we looked down again he'd eaten every last bite of his cone including the paper wrapping.

Quite honestly, almost all of our furniture has come from Ikea. Brooks jokes that Ikea furniture is great until you have to move. He is right about that one. Since you have to assemble it yourself, it isn't always the most durable, and since we've moved a few times our furniture has definitely seen better days.

But regardless, I still love this store! Even though the drive will be a little further, I will still find excuses to spend a few hours looking around and buying little gadgets with unpronounceable names.

No comments: