Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Mr. Popular



Last night was curriculum night at Taylor's school. We were late of course and the room was pretty full with kids and parents sitting at the tables. Brooks sat with Jasmine on the rug and went to work on her coloring book while I tried to listen to Mrs. Gregory.

"Mom, do you see blue? Blue is my favorite color"

"Shhh, Taylor. Please don't talk when your teacher is talking."

"Okay mom. But did you know that--"

"Shh! Can you please wait to tell me after she is done talking?"

"Okay mom."

And then we were done. Brooks asked if that was it, and I guess it was. We waited to talk with her after the room had pretty much cleared. I didn't know we really had anything new to share with her, but since Taylor was sent home the day before with a yellow note on his behavior I thought for sure she might have something to tell us.

She said he had a great day, and she was sure his behavior the day before was because he had made the choice not to behave versus something sensory related, like I worried. She also told us the best news ever- that Taylor has a lot of friends and that the other boys really gravitate toward him. "Really?!" I asked. "Oh yeah! He has the best sense of humor and I think the kids notice that." Then she told me that two of the boys in the class were calling Taylor their best friend.

Phew! We have been so, so worried about Taylor making friends. That concern has been at the top of our list for such a long time. Aside from wanting him to appear as normal as possible, we want to make sure he is making friends and kids are being nice to him. And of course that he is being nice back.

No comments: