Sunday, August 19, 2007

Bus Adventures


Today Tay and Katie and I went to the park in Patagonia to go play. Sounds like fun enough, except the big adventure was that we drove Grandma's VW Bus, Gus, to the park. I can't explain my parents sometimes, but they love VW's. They have normal cars- a 4-Runner and a Ford F250, then ehy have the VW's- Gertie the Bug, aDouble Cabbie they picked up in Colorado, and mom has Gus the Bus, a '71. I think they originally bought Gus for my older sister a few years ago when her old car died, but he was just too cool for her so she gave him back after a bit, and they happily took him back. Since then my mom has gotten him a fancy paint job back to his original color and some other restoration stuff I will probably never fully appreciate. He is now worth more then her 4-Runner. It's a hoot to see and hear my parents driving around in those cars. I can't explain it, but they love them and plan on showing them off at this year's Bugtoberfest in Tucson.

So, back to us and the park. I have in fact driven a bus before, but it was orange and the horn honked every time you used the turn signal. It also had a broken gas gauge and pretty much was a piece of dookie. So driving Gus today was like driving the Mercedes of buses, and a little like getting back on a bike. Once I made it slowly out of the ranch I was zooming down the highway on the 15 minute trip to Patagonia.There's a bunch of hippies in Patagonia anyway, so I figured I wouldn't be too much out of place. Tay loved it and had a blast riding in the back seat. After the park we went and had some ice cream. Tay and I shared a bowl, but really he ate most of it. This baby does not have too much of a sweet tooth, but it's older brother sure does!

No comments: