Monday, August 22, 2011

Tucson Catch Up

We have now been in Tucson officially for 32 days. It has been one full month, so here is my attempt at a brief re-cap.

School:
Paragon Science Academy was great, but their sister school in Tucson is horrible. Because they aren't good enough for my son we looked at a number of different schools and put him on the waiting list at one super cute school called Tucson Country Day School. As the first day of school approached, he never got called so we resigned ourselves to him attending our neighborhood school. Then my friend suggested I beg talk to the principal at Soleng Tom, which is where Jazzy would be going to preschool. On the Tuesday before school started I said about 10 Hail Mary's and gave it my best shot. He was super kind, told me he thought they did have room and we filled out the enrollment paperwork. The very next day I got a confirmation phone call and Taylor now had a school! His teacher is Mrs. Lowe, she is damn near as saintly as the principal and I am in love with the school. It is on the east side in the beautiful part of the desert and the drive and smell of the desert makes me happy. Yeah, I said it. I may even be falling in love with this silly town.

Sassy Jazzy:
Little Miss decided she liked Pre-School once she met the teacher and discovered the classroom had some pretty neat toys. Rachael's son Matt is in her class and it is beyond adorable watching those two play with one another. She loves school and only goes Tuesday/Thursday but wants to go every day. I love that they go to the same school, being a taxi is making my days a little hectic but someday soon hopefully we can buy in the neighborhood closer to the school.

The Car:
My car is pretty but has a lot of miles on it and is starting to be pretty needy. With me not working, we really aren't in the position for two car payments so we are just fixing it on what seems like a regular basis. The newest repair was a new fuel pump and cam sensors ($700). Now the A/C which was just recharged is blowing hot out of the two drivers vents off and on and the anti-theft light keeps blinking. Le sigh. But, my super handy-when-he-feels-like-it husband replaced the air filter and fixed the trunk brake light this weekend. Whoo-hoo for figuring out how to do somethings ourselves :)

A Job:
I have applied for a number of different jobs, but only had two call back for interviews. One was for an event coordinator which would be a dream job for me but when they called back for the second interview I had to decline. Now that we know where Taylor is going to school, the commute is just way too far to work out how we'd get the kids to school and ourselves to work. I am thinking about trying to find a part-time retail job at someplace where the discount would be handy: a kids clothing store, maybe a home decor store.

Getting settled:
Our dining room still looks like a storage unit, but we did buy a new couch this weekend! It gets delivered tomorrow and then the living room will look a little better. I also found a really pretty lampshade for our room today, too. I can't wait to actually be able to have people over again once we get all the Rubbermaid's and boxes moved out and a new table moved in.

No comments: