Monday, February 13, 2012

Valentine's Day

Valentine's Day seems to be a perfect example of the ideal plan,  indecision and then change that is the theme of our family these days.

Originally, when Brooks and I first decided to move back to Tucson we knew we wanted to go to McMahon's for our Valentines dinner. This was exciting for a number of reasons. McMahon's is a fancy steak restaurant. I love steak and we both appreciate food, perhaps maybe too much. But, McMahon's is also where we had our very first Valentine's dinner, ten years ago.

Back in those days, things were a little different mainly because we didn't have two little kids to consider when making our plans. I remember Brooks picked me up at my parents house, late of course. Now I know it's because he is always late (or is that me?). Then I thought it was because he lad a trick up his sleeve, like a surprise limo to take us for dinner. Alas, there was no limo but he did buy me the Hallmark Kiss-Kiss bears (remember those?) and a pretty aquamarine necklace. After that we went back to his apartment for a bit, then left for the restaurant. We enjoyed a yummy dinner, followed with chocolate covered strawberries and champagne. It was a perfect Valentine's Day especially since we'd only been dating a month! I was completely swept off my feet.

We always go out for Valentine's Day now, even with the kids. The only thing is our venue of choice and gifts are a little different. Really, I can't remember the last time we got each other a gift other than a small box of chocolate as we attempt to eat the kids chocolate be calorie conscious. And restaurants have always been kids choice. So this year I was so excited to have a real date involving a fancy, kid- less dinner.

Brooks has been watching the online reservation system for McMahon's for months. When Valentine's Day finally opened up, he swooped in and got us the perfect dinner time. We figured my dad would babysit and everything seemed good. But then horror upon horror- McMahon's released their menu for the night which was lobster, shrimp and steak- and I don't eat seafood!  Brooks thought it was no big deal and we could still go, but for a $150 dinner I wanted to actually be able to eat my dinner. So the practical side of me won over my heart and we decided to go somewhere else. We settled on another steak restaurant, but really after McMahon's didn't work out, I didn't care so much where we went. I talked to my dad about babysitting, which also meant getting Taylor to karate and that didn't seem to be working out either. Then he broke his wrist, so I knew that for sure it wouldn't work out as he couldn't drive his car and my step-mom wouldn't be home from work in time to take him to karate.

So, in the way of the Wintemutes, our big plan is no more and we changed or mind about a few times and finally "settled". Brooks is going to get off of work at 4:00 and we are going to have an early dinner at  Red Robin (the kids ecstatic choice) which is pretty much across the street from his work, at the romantic Tucson Mall. Then we are going to go straight to karate (the 30+ minute drive should give Taylor's tummy enough time to settle).

It will still be fun and it will work. It just won't be steak, strawberries and champagne.

1 comment:

Stephanie Wadas said...

The romance of being married with children .:)